Authentic Mango's Journal|
[Most Recent Entries]
Below are the 8 most recent journal entries recorded in
Authentic Mango's LiveJournal:
|Sunday, August 3rd, 2008|
My Top 5 Moving Comics
I just finished one of the most amazing comics (or stories period) I've ever read. Even 15 minutes after finishing Banana Fish
(yes, like the J.D. Salinger short story), I'm still crying my eyes out. For this, I'm going to list the 5 most moving comics I've ever read in no particular order.
1. Banana Fish
, by Akimi Yoshida
, by Ai Yazawa
3. Love and Rockets,
by Gilbert and Jaime Hernandez
, by Osamu Tezuka
, by Yumi Tamura
|Sunday, November 4th, 2007|
X-Day - Series Review
Being a student, doing frequent reviews is simply out of the question. I'm reading a TON of series right now for please though (Please Save My Earth is crack. Read it.). To remedy this, I've decided to post series reviews as I finish them so as to not be a complete masochist. I'll also review one-shot manga as well ::cough, cough:: 2/3 of all yaoi ::cough::. Anyways, onto my first series review:
by Setona Mizushiro
Age Rating: OT (16+)
Phoenix Volume 12
According to Amazon, Viz will be publishing a twelfth volume of Osamu Tezuka's amazingly epic manga series Phoenix
. This latest volume appears to contain his earlier workings of Phoenix. Needless to say, I'm incredibly excited that they'll be doing this volume. Forget Death Note
13, we've got Phoenix
|Sunday, September 30th, 2007|
Luba: Three Daughters - Review
Luba: Three Daughters
by Gilbert Hernandez
Age Rating: N/A, contains sex and nudity.
Publisher: Fantagraphics Books
A review of the final volume of Luba's adventures in the USA. If you haven't read the Palomar saga, and the first two books of this trilogy, this wonderful book will make no sense to you.
|Sunday, September 16th, 2007|
VERY belated news from Tezuka Panel at the Asian Art Museum
This is way overdue, I know, but this is the info that I've confirmed with industry representatives.
1. New Tezuka in works beyond Kimba
2. Club 9 dead for good.
3. What's Michael? omnibus very possible.
4. Astro Boy Vols. 1 and 2 reprinted
5. Astro Boy omnibi possible
6. Dark Horse is beginning to look into Crime and Punishment by Osamu
7. Carl Horn, though doubting cancellation, could not promise the
complete printing of Eden. He REALLY wants us to read it.
1. No Moto Hagio. Ever. They can't acquire the rights.
2. No sound of wind in the trees through 2010 (or any other longer
Takemiya work for that matter).
3. Adaptions of Tezuka's works are highly unlikely due to high
resistance from Tezuka Productions (Kimba anyone?).
4. They of course have more Tezuka plans.
5. Expect new creators beyond Takemiya and Tezuka (and the Guin Saga
mangaka) in the near future.
6. Website overhaul in October.
7. Vertical to get a seperate manga imprint.
8. Tezuka titles to remain flipped.
1. They are considering more Tezuka (Princess Knight received good fan
response in shoujo beat)
2. No. 5 is NEVER coming back. It is Viz's worst selling manga of all
time. Blue Spring also sold extremely poorly.
3. Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga is a favorite of theirs, though a
reprint is unlikely in the near future.
4. Black Jack is something they'd love to print if they were sure
they'd profit off of it.
5. Reprints of the original Adolf series or Black Jack run are
impossible as their original runs pre-dated digitization.
6. Adolf very likely to be reprinted in a new format at some point in
7. Entire Phoenix series reprinted including volumes 1, 3, and 7.
8. Kekkaishi not actually as big a loss for Viz as some have thought.
It's still highly overlooked however.
9. Phoenix still is a financial loss for Viz. This does not encourage
them to reprint Black Jack.
10. Viz is printing Firefigher! Daigo of the Company M! at a loss and
refused to disclose why they even licensed it in the first place, but
said they had a very good reason that THEY COULD NOT DISCLOSE. Eh?
Firefighter is now top secret? Is someone paying Viz to publish it? The
Firefighter Illuminati? Strange.
Non-panel related news:
1. Blast to continue publishing Barefoot Gen in the near future.
2. Off*Beat, a wonderful OEL series by Jen Lee Quick, has had it's third volume postponed untill August 2008.
3. Udon Entertainment is picking up Range Murata's Robot where DMP left off. Volume 4 is slated for December. For 5$ more. Oh well, still a score!
That's it for news! My old reviews will be posted soon! Then new ones!
Hey, so I'm an amateur manga/Graphic novels reviewer. I wish to use Authentic Mango as my forum to give my reviews and any reports I may have from events. Comments are welcome, and if you wish to use the review elsewhere (which would be great!), just say so and give me a link in the comments. Thank you for checking out my site!